Make the most of your library! Anyone can use the library to search for information or to browse through books - but to borrow items you need to join the library.
The library is open to all and anyone can become a member. A membership card (lenerspas) is required to borrow books and other materials. To become a member, proof of identification will be requested. Accepting the membership card implies acceptance of the borrowing regulations of the ASCL library. Currently, the membership card costs € 5 a year. Membership is free for Leiden University staff and Leiden University students.
Monday to Friday: 9.00 - 17.00
Monday evenings: until 20.00 (except in July and August)
- 14 April - Good Friday
- 17 April - Easter Monday
- 27 April - King’s Day
- 5 May - Liberation Day
- 25 May - Ascension Day
- 26 May
- 5 June - Pentecost Monday
- 31 July up to and including 4 August - Summer Closure
- 3 October - Leidens Ontzet (Leiden's Relief, local holiday)
- 25 December up to and including 1 January 2017 - Christmas Holidays
- Five user terminals.
- Study/reading room.
- Photocopier (€ 0,05 per page).
- Microfiche reader/printer (paid).
- Microfilm reader.
- Video player.
- Wheelchair accessible.
- Sending/faxing photocopies (€ 0,50 per photocopy, € 2,50 administration costs plus postage).
- Compiling literature lists (a brief overview of titles available on a specific topic in the collection will be sent on request via e-mail, this service is free) (a printed literature list costs € 0,50 per page € 2,50 administration costs plus postage)
- Guided tour of the library for groups, by appointment.
Contact the library phone +31 (0)71-527 3354 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment or to order photocopies.
Payments can be made with a debit card or cash.
- Library card: € 5 a year
- Copying/printing: € 0.05 per page (self-service photocopier)
- Sending/faxing photocopies: € 0.50 per page ( € 2.50 administration costs plus postage)
- Borrowing a DVD: € 2
- Fines: € 5 for each overdue book; a minimum of € 35 for a lost book or DVD
You need a library card to borrow publications from the ASCL. 10 items (books or DVDs) may be borrowed from the library at any one time.
The loan period is 3 weeks. Renewal for a further 3 weeks is possible unless the book has been reserved by another borrower. You can renew your own books via the online library catalogue (OPAC), by e-mail email@example.com, at the library’s circulation desk or by telephone (071-527 3354) during library opening hours. Loans may be renewed up to 10 times.
Borrowers are responsible for returning or renewing a book on time. Borrowers who fail to return books or renew loans on time will receive an overdue notice (rappel) from the ASCL library, usually via e-mail.
Borrowers must return borrowed books (or extend the loan period) on receipt of the first notice (4 weeks after the loan date, 3 weeks after the loan date of a reserved book). A second notice will be sent 1 week after the first notice. It is no longer possible to extend the loan period via OPAC once a notice has been dispatched.
Failure to return a book after the dispatch of a second notice will result in the suspension of the borrower’s library card and no further loans will be permitted.
After the dispatch of the third reminder about overdue items, a fine of € 5 per book will be charged.
If there is no response to reminders, a new copy of all overdue items will be purchased at the borrower’s expense.
It is still possible to borrow material from us without an ASCL library card, via interlibrary loans (ILL). You can request the publication (or photocopy) at the library you frequent. This library will send us an interlibrary loan request, and we will respond by sending the publication (or a photocopy) to your library. Find a list of ILL prices below.
Books and articles can be ordered from another library via interlibrary loans (ILL), for those with an ASCL library card.
- ordering a new book: € 6.50 per book
- ordering copies or scans: € 6.50 per article (for the first 10 pages and € 0.65 for each additional page)
- ordering a DVD: € 6.50 per DVD
- ordering from overseas: € 16.00
- for expedited service, costs are doubled
For for a complete list of ILL prices see price list.
All costs must be paid in advance.
If you cannot find a title in the ASCL collection, please use this form to contact the library staff.
The library receives and processes many gifts each year, including books, periodicals, videos and other library materials. These gifts help us to add depth to the collection and replace worn-out and lost books and journals.
To make a donation to the African Studies Centre Leiden library, please contact:
- Elvire Eijkman, firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 071 5273357
- Gerard van de Bruinhorst, email@example.com, phone 071 5276734
The library is particularly interested in gifts that fit into the collection profile. Gifts not retained are sent to affiliated libraries in The Netherlands or to Africa as part of our donation programme.
2333 AK Leiden
Ground floor, room 0B02
See the directions for how to reach the ASCL
ASCL Library, Documentation and Information Department
PO Box 9555
2300 RB Leiden
Monday to Friday 9.00 - 17.00 hours
Monday evening till 20.00 hours (except in July and August)
Telephone: +31 (0)71 527 3354
Fax: +31 (0)71 527 3350
- Research programme
- Research projects
- Collaborative groups
- Research staff
- Find expertise
- PhD research
- Visiting fellowship programme
- Services and products
- Practical information
- About the library
- Search tools
- ASCL series
- Browse the ASCL series titles
- African Dynamics
- Afrika-Studiecentrum Series
- Africa Yearbook
- African Studies Collection
- ASCL Working Papers
- African Studies Abstracts Online (ASA Online)
- ASCL Info sheets
- Langaa / ASCL series
- African Public Administration and Management series
- ASCL themakaarten - ASCL thematic maps
- West African Politics and Society (WAPOSO) series
- African Postal Heritage papers
- ASCL occasional publications
- How to order
- Open access
- New publications
- ASCL series
- ASCL Community
- About the ASCL