The African Studies Centre Leiden library collection consists of approximately 91,000 books, including many rare items gathered on regular acquisition trips to Africa. It includes ‘grey literature’, like government reports, reports of international organizations, brochures, and pamphlets. We also have a substantial collection of African literature. Other materials:
More than 400 current serials subscriptions, most of which are (also available as) online journals. The online catalogue contains titles of about 90,000 journal articles, many open online and/or with abstracts.
About 1700 documentaries and feature films on video and DVD available to the public. Consult the Ethnographic Video Online database to view classic and contemporary documentaries (campus access).
- About 2700 open online publications accessible via the catalogue, and more than 400 online journals.
- An online repository with links to more than 56,000 articles, many open online: Connecting Africa.
- A collection of more then 200,000 African social science titles from diverse databases: Africabib.
- More digital sources by the ASC (library) can be found here.
Coverage of the collection
North and Sub-Saharan Africa
· anthropology and sociology
· women's studies
· political science
· management and policy studies
· literature and art
Also see our collection development policy.
- Research programme
- Research projects
- Collaborative groups
- Research staff
- Find expertise
- PhD research
- Visiting fellowship programme
- Services and products
- Practical information
- About the library
- Search tools
- ASCL series
- Browse the ASCL series titles
- African Dynamics
- Afrika-Studiecentrum Series
- Africa Yearbook
- African Studies Collection
- ASCL Working Papers
- African Studies Abstracts Online (ASA Online)
- ASCL Info sheets
- Langaa / ASCL series
- African Public Administration and Management series
- ASCL themakaarten - ASCL thematic maps
- West African Politics and Society (WAPOSO) series
- African Postal Heritage papers
- ASCL occasional publications
- How to order
- Open access
- New publications
- ASCL series
- ASCL Community
- About the ASCL