Here are some guidelines on how to find certain resources, such as articles, journals or films, and how to use the ASC’s online catalogue. A number of other relevant sources for each type of material are also suggested.
In the ASC catalogue restricting your search to a particular type of material can be done in two ways:
1) simple search: carry out a search action and filter the results by ‘material code’.
N.B. It is also possible to filter your result by language or country code.
2) advanced search: type in the search terms and limit by type of material under ‘material selection’ before starting the search action.
N.B. The material types music, picture, manuscripts, letters and sound are not in use. (No results will be retrieved.)
Tip: Try truncating your search term: Nigeria gives only results with Nigeria in the list: Niger? (use a question mark) gives also Nigerian and Nigerians.
You can also use the thesaurus as a discovery tool. It has 12,000 controlled terms with which all books and articles are indexed.
- Research programme
- Research projects
- Research staff
- PhD research
- Visiting fellowship programme
- Using the library
- News and alerts
- Find it
- African Studies resources
- Library tools
- About the library
- ASC series
- Browse the ASC series titles
- African Dynamics
- Afrika-Studiecentrum Series
- Africa Yearbook
- African Studies Collection
- ASC Working Papers
- African Studies Abstracts Online (ASA Online)
- ASC Info sheets
- Langaa / ASC series
- African Public Administration and Management series
- ASC themakaarten - ASC thematic maps
- West African Politics and Society (WAPOSO) series
- How to order
- Open access
- New publications
- Research publications
- Library publications
- ASC series
- About the ASC