Samia Satti Osman Mohamed Nour
Dr Samia Satti Osman Mohamed Nour is an Assistant Professor of Economics at the Department of Economics, Faculty of Economic and Social Studies of Khartoum University, Khartoum, Sudan. During her stay as a visiting research fellow at the African Studies Centrebetween May and July 2009, she will work on a research paper that expected to contribute to ASC Thematic Research Project on Connections and Transformations: Linking Technologies and Society in Africa and Beyond, Subgroup 4: Connections in African Knowledge.
Dr Samia studied Economics at the Faculty of Economic and Social Studies, University of Khartoum, Sudan, where she graduated with a B.Sc. (First Class Honours) in December 1994. She obtained a M.Sc. in Economics from the Graduate College at the same university in December 1999. On November 10th, 2005 she has successfully defended her PhD thesis on the topic "Technological Change and Skill Development in the Arab Gulf Countries". She received the PhD. degree from the faculty of Economic and Business Administration, Maastricht University, the Netherlands. She is the fourth UNU-INTECH student to graduate from the programme. She received a medal and five different best student faculty prizes during her undergraduate studies and several research awards during her postgraduate studies.
Dr. Samia has worked as a teaching assistant at the Department of Economics- Faculty of Economic and Social Studies - University of Khartoum between April 1995 and December 2005. Since December 2005 and up to date she is working as an Assistant Professor of Economics at the Department of Economics, University of Khartoum. Currently, she is teaching an Applied Economics (Labor Economics), Industrial Economics and Development Economics courses for the Third and Fourth Years (Undergraduate Classes) and an Advanced Microeconomics course for the M.Sc. (Postgraduate Class). In addition Dr. Samia is currently supervising a considerable number of students both at the B.SC. (Undergraduate) and M.SC. (Postgraduate) levels and she is the coordinator of the Ph.D. programme in Economics at the Department of Economics since September 2006 and up to date.
Dr Samia stayed at Maastricht University and UNU-INTECH, Maastricht, the Netherlands from September 1999 to November 2005 and at UNU-WIDER, Helsinki, Finland from May to July 2002.
Dr Samia's main research interests are in the fields of Economics, Economics of Technical Change, ICT, Applied Economics, Labour Economics, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Development Economics, Human Capita Development and Endogenous Growth. Her main publications are:
- Nour, Samia (2006), "ICT Opportunities and Challenges for Development in the Arab Region," Chapter 8 in A. P. D'Costa (ed.) "The New Economy in Development: ICT Challenges and Opportunities" series of Technology, Globalization, and Development, Vol. 2, Palgrave Macmillan's, September 2006, pp. 161-187. (English).
- Muysken, Joan and Nour, Samia (2006),"Deficiencies in Education and Poor Prospects for Economic Growth in the Gulf Countries: The Case of the UAE," The Journal of Development Studies: Routledge: Taylor and Francis Group Ltd., UK, Vol. 42, No. 6, August 2006, pp. 957-980. (English).
- Nour, Samia (2005a), "Science and Technology (S&T) Development Indicators in the Arab Region: A comparative Study of Arab Gulf and Mediterranean Countries," The Journal of Science, Technology and Society (SAGE Publications), Vol.10; No. 2; September 2005; pp. 249-274 (Published in UNU -INTECH Discussion Paper Series UNU-INTECHDPS2005-3, Maastricht, the Netherlands, August 2005) (English).
- Nour, Samia (2005b), "Science and Technology (S&T) Development Indicators in the Arab Region: A comparative Study of Arab Gulf and Mediterranean Countries," Published in UNU-INTECH Discussion Paper Series UNU-INTECHDPS2005-3, Maastricht, the Netherlands, August 2005). (English).
- Nour, Samia (2002a), "ICT Opportunities and Challenges for Development in the Arab World," Published as UNU-WIDER Discussion Paper Series, UNU-WIDERDP2002/83, Helsinki, Finland. (English).
- Nour, Samia (2002b), "The Impact of ICT on Economic Development in the Arab World: A comparative study of Egypt and the Gulf countries," Economic Research Forum for the Arab Countries, Iran and Turkey, ERF Working paper series WP Number: 200237, Cairo 2002. (English).
- Research programme
- Research projects
- Collaborative groups
- Research staff
- Find expertise
- PhD research
- Visiting fellowship programme
- Services and products
- Practical information
- About the library
- Search tools
- ASCL series
- Browse the ASCL series titles
- African Dynamics
- Afrika-Studiecentrum Series
- Africa Yearbook
- African Studies Collection
- ASCL Working Papers
- African Studies Abstracts Online (ASA Online)
- ASCL Info sheets
- Langaa / ASCL series
- African Public Administration and Management series
- ASCL themakaarten - ASCL thematic maps
- West African Politics and Society (WAPOSO) series
- African Postal Heritage papers
- ASCL occasional publications
- How to order
- Open access
- New publications
- ASCL series
- ASCL Community
- About the ASCL